suing the gays

Sylvia Ann Driskell, a Nebraska woman acting as “Ambassador for Plaintiff’s God, and His, Son, Jesus Christ,” is suing all homosexuals in Omaha district court, asking for a ruling whether homosexuality is or is not a sin.

Citing the “boasting” of gay people and the general decay of the nation’s morals, Ms. Driskell seems to be unaware that the phrase “hiding in a closet” is an allegory and wonders “homosexuals know it is a sin to live a life of homosexuality. Why else would they have been hiding in a closet.”

Requests for comments by God have not been returned at this time.

Read her official court document here.

The Notary Public and You

businesswoman stamping document


What exactly is a notary public?


A notary public comes from a long tradition of scribes. Back when only the elite were literate, a scribe filled the important duty of reading and writing for the masses. Now that an education is free for all, this has specialized into the notary. Any person who is approved for a state notary license can claim the title. Duties can include witnessing legal proceedings, validating document copies and swearing in public officials. (These and other duties may vary by state.) The main use, however, is certifying signatures on documents as authentic.

A person utilizing a notary in this manner must present identification and sign the document in his or her presence. The notary will either stamp, sign and date the document itself, or a certificate they attach, using an embossed or ink stamp with their name and license information.

In order to qualify as a notary public, a person must apply and pay for a license, obtain a notary bond (insurance, usually through the licensing agency), supply character recommendations from fellow notaries and sign an oath. Once approved, the most common length of term is 4 years. Again, specific requirements may vary by state.

If the life of a notary appeals to you, there are a number of ways you can begin. Go straight through your state’s Department of Licensing site (in Washington, the application can be found HERE, or choose a full service company to walk you through the steps and fulfill the other obligations such as creating a notary stamp and securing a bond (such as LMI Notary).

Finally, check online for further information. The American Society of Notaries has some good resources, such as notary requirements by state.

Children and Divorce

Father comforts a sad child

Over on Huffington Post, they are running a series on how to help children through a divorce. While every situation is unique, there are some common guidelines for every child.

*Never make your child feel guilty for loving their mom or dad. While there may be fault on one side or other, kids center their world around their parents and sabotaging that love can cause anguish. Never ask them who they would rather live with, or who they love more. They love you both, and want to live with you both.

*Don’t put the kids in the middle of negotiations, arguments or arrangements. They shouldn’t be passing messages or mediating, that makes them take on a mature role in the separation, something that needs to be reserved for adults. Ask a friend, send a text or email, write a note, hire a lawyer instead.

*It’s okay to hide things from the kids. They don’t need to know that a parent behaved badly, or who wronged whom. Their world is already devastated, without adding more negative emotions to the mix. If they ask questions, keep the answers age appropriate, and let them dictate how much information they want.

*Get a routine as quickly as possible. A solid schedule that a child can count on is invaluable in rebuilding a sense of safety and security.

*Let your child’s teacher or caregivers know what’s going on. It might not feel right to air your personal laundry but these are your child’s advocates, and can help give encouragement or watch for common warning signs of stress, such as acting out. Stay neutral and don’t give too many personal details, a brief overview of the split and any new visitation schedules is plenty.

For more ideas and tips, check How to Help Your Toddler Through Divorce and How to Help Children Ages 6-12 Through Your Divorce




My friend is a paralegal, can he help me with my legal problem?


No, a paralegal is not licensed to practice law. Instead, they are an assistant, specializing in legal skills including research, scheduling court dates and making sure papers are filed in the appropriate time and place. A paralegal may or may not be certified through a special program, and while quite knowledgeable about the law, is not allowed to give legal advice.

Welcome to the New Website

We are proud to launch the new website for the Rao & Pierce Seattle law firm. We provide the finest family law and general practice legal counsel in Seattle. Please browse our new website for all the information you might want regarding our firm.

Please come back to our website for great legal information and resources. We will be regularly posting new content to our Sidebar Legal Blog.